Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Elastic No-No Band - Nobody's Listening

“You get up in the morning. Head down to the subway to give those folks a piece of your mind. You get out your guitar and sing your own songs about how the world is so unkind.” A song about a guy whose craft is writing songs. Okay, I hear about 20 of these songs a week, but this one stands out. It doesn’t make me dance, but the voice invites me in to listen to the story called Nobody’s Listening. I’m suckered in, and feel good because of it. “Your rhetoric’s so thick it’s hard to care about who died.” That line throws me, because I’ve never heard rhetoric that thick. Each day I grieve because of what our country is doing, and perhaps subconsciously I have a desire to be served up a rhetoric that thick. When he switches to first person the story thickens – self analysis about how he sings in nightclubs about girls he knew in his teens. Excellent story line that allows the listener to think about life choices. Shoutout for (Everywhere I Look) I See your Face. Elastic No-No Band