Sunday, June 03, 2007

Joe Cocker - Just Pass It On / One Word (Peace)

“You don’t owe me a solitary thing.” I am dancing deeply through many layers of this performance of Just Pass It On. “I’ll be praying that the best will come your way.” I love the philosophy here – we do not loan things out for benefit of ourselves, but to benefit others. The reference is both personal, and national, which of course makes this a political discussion. The second song that makes my ear dance while drinking in some deeper thoughts is One Word (Peace). “A man stands on the corner holding a sign. People yell at him as they drive by. I wondered what it said that made them so upset. I looked at the sign and all it said was one word – Peace.” Ironic – the man of peace gets yelled at. I personally thought we would over with the hatred of peace when we reached the new century. Shows how naïve I am and I admit it. Our economy does not run well at peace. Supposedly. At least that’s what people are taught to believe. But the importance of peace is not found in our wallets. “A man in a foreign land kneels to pray, and wonders where the bombs will fall today.” Unfortunately, we all know who is dropping those bombs. It’s all of us who pay taxes and vote for lovers of money. Shoutouts for Ring Them Bells and Long As I Can See The Light. Joe Cocker