Saturday, October 04, 2008

John Mellencamp – Longest Days

Seems like once upon a time ago
I was where I was supposed to be
My vision was true and my heart was too
There was no end to what I could dream
I walked like a hero into the setting sun
Everyone called out my name
Death to me was just a mystery
I was too busy raising up Cain

But nothing lasts forever
Your best efforts don't always pay
Sometimes you get sick
And don't get better
That's when life is short
Even in its longest days

So you pretend not to notice
That everything has changed
The way that you look
And the friends you once had
So you keep on acting the same
But deep down in your soul
You know you, you got no flame
And who knows then which way to go
Life is short even in its longest days

All I got here
Is a rear view mirror
Reflections of where I've been

Let’s just say I’m speechless. The writing is so intense, so personal, so real that I can add nothing to the conversation except everyone should hear this. Shoutouts for Troubled Land (“One man's eyes are full of sorrow, the other man's belly full of unbearable pain”), John Cockers (“Well I'm a little isolated, I live most days in my head”), Ride Back Home (“Now it's starting to get to me, all of this inhumanity”), and For The Children (“I hope you can be a child of life with big dreams for everyone”). John Mellencamp