Saturday, August 23, 2008

Emiliana Torrini - Ha Ha

“Did you hear me laughing in your head when I saw you stuck in a rut, again?” The delivery of this line has me smiling all over. Emiliana doesn’t run it out with the speed it takes me to type it, she stretches the line with a mystery the allows my brain to flip over when I hear the tag line – “again.” The knowledge that we will always fail at our tasks, as hard as we try. The narrator of this poem has a wonderful mean streak in her. It’s exciting, and enhanced by the musicians she has gathered around her. “It’s not over till you start again.” Shoutouts include Hold Heart (“No tears, don’t you come out.”), Beggar’s Prayer “When I was lost you thought me a beautiful find. Sometimes I think of you sleeping, so sleep for awhile”), Me And Armini (“you’re my clothes that I burn up in smoke”), and Heard It All Before (“the darkness hits the railway on that bridge”). A full, deeply satisfying meal with many enjoyable flavors. Emiliana Torrini