Saturday, August 30, 2008

Jonathan Richman - No One Was Like Vermeer

“Some paintings are sad and passionate, but for me it sends a chill up your spine.” Jonathan moves me, he always has. The percussionist with him on this album is tight &, well simply put, perfect for Jonathan’s music. This song has some fun guitar work, alsong with some as usual tongue-in-cheek humor. “Vermeer was eerie, Vermeer was strange.” LOL! The uninitiated always say something similar about Jonathan when I put one of his records on. There really is no one quite like Jonathan, nor do I think anyone would want to be like him. He’s his own man, and continues to be. “What’s this? A ghost in the gallery? Great scott, the martians are here! These strange little paintings next to the others, no one was like Vermeer. Vermeer was eerie. Vermeer was weird. He had his own way of doing things.” Self-analysis in the third person? Great record. The shoutout tune on the record is the tender and beautiful As My Mother Lay Lying. And I can’t quit this review till I say Here come the martian martians! Jonathan Richman