Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ellen Bukstel - Is It Hot In Here Or Is It Me

Any song that makes me laugh always makes it here to Eartaste, that’s a given. Two songs on one album that make me laugh is a rarity, but that happens here. Spitting my tea through my nose hurts a heck of a lot, but gives the song extra points, as if it needed it. Ellen has the gift of leaving my nose sore for several days and not regretting it. The ability to take the subject of menopause and create a folk song out of it is one thing, but this goes a step beyond and leaves us laughing on the floor.

“There is designer estrogen the doctors could prescribe,
But the recent tests are showing that the rats did not survive”

The shoutouts include the hilarious Gimme Gimme about motherhood and the truth of raising kids in a materialistic society. Hysterical fun. “I had two more kids while I was using birth control. Must’ve been the diaphragm that had a large pinhole. Now I have three children and they’re good company, whining and complaining now in three part harmony!” The other two shoutouts are included below in video format. Somebody’s Child is poignant and reaches deep into the heart of our nation. They Lost My Vote prepares us for another election where our votes really won’t make much difference.

Our school buildings are 50 years old, and have classrooms that were built way before the age of technology. No one thought that electricity would be needed in the classroom. Bids to do the $100,000 job have reached the regions of $5 million from the cheapest bidder. Why? Because it’s “government” money and the contractors look at it as money without true meaning. Everyone seems to forget that this money eventually comes out of the pockets of our grandchildren. No one cares. I don’t see either party caring – there’s none of them talking about money for the infrastructure of education, just the tests. And more tests. Why? Because a few very rich people are making easy profits off of printing a test for 30 cents and selling it for $60.00. Point is, we all want to vote for honest government, but no one is running on that platform, and anyone who has an honest vote simply finds out its lost.

As Ellen says in the song – we can land a roving camera on mars and get video back, but they can’t make an honest voting machine. “I lost my faith in the government when they changed the rules without my consent.” Ellen has a variety of flavors, as you'll see by sampling the two videos. A fine collection. Ellen Bukstel


They Lost My Vote:

See more funny videos at Funny or Die


Somebody's Child