Friday, September 19, 2008

Niyaz - Beni Beni

Putumayo has spoiled me to listen for world music in Friday evenings, to escape the political life of the daily educational grind where we are no longer allowed to educate, but are focused on teaching state mandated formats. The peace in the world we envisioned as children will never happen with state mandates, but such is life. So, I seek out music created that expresses other emotions, artists that have peace in their souls and are willing to emote it to my soul. The new Niyaz album fits this need beautifully. I float above the Mediterranean with the sounds that fill my ears and lift my heart. Beni Beni could mean just about anything, but my mind takes me to beneficial, good, love, peace. I can hear these dances performed at the wedding in Cana when Jesus turned water into wine, and I can hear the music at the wedding feast of the lamb. The music allows me to dance in ever widening circles filled with the knowledge that the kingdom of God is within. Shoutouts for Tamana and Song Of Exile. Beautiful. Niyaz