Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ruthie Foster - Heal Yourself b/w Beaver Creek Blues

“You wanna make real music, not just part time, but really use it. But you don't want nobody else to hear it 'cause you think somebody's gonna steal it. You better think 'bout healin' yourself, child” A valuable song about faith, really. What We’re hearing here is that you have to have faith in yourself and others if you want to accomplish anything. Preaching? Maybe a little. But with the good-time soul music sending the message, I can use the preaching. We all need a bit of preaching when we feel like we have to hide our creativity from the world. Besides, if you think that’s preaching, you need to hear the next verse. “You were born in the back seat of America, and you pride yourself in sharing her. Taught to work to please and pray on your knees, you pay for your cheap grace with your nominal fees. Oh, you try to change the news with you TV remote, you got the freedom to choose, but you choose not to vote.” Ouch! And amen. Every song on this album takers a different musical direction, which my ears love. Beaver Creek Blues starts off down on Beaver Creek, and then the drummer joins in with the croaking toads, and when the guitar joins in the action starts rockin’ this day to new heights. “Well, a cup of black coffee’s gonna start my day – I won’t make it any other way.” Great fun! Shoutouts for People Grinnin' In Your Face (“bear this in mind, a good friend is hard to find.”), Up Above My Head (“there’s music in the air”), & Mama Said (“fall on your knees before you fall in the wrong direction”). You will not regret purchasing this entire album, Ruthie’s fifth, and you know how much a fifth can fill your soul with happiness. There’s plenty of soul to be found in these grooves, that’s for sure. Ruthie Foster

If you're new to the soulful voice of Ruthie Foster, then I also recommend Runaway Soul and Stages. If you find the first two albums for sale anywhere, please let me know where you found them.

A second personal note. You can usually find used CDs in ebay for just about any artist. Check out Ruthie Foster on ebay. When I looked, not only could I not find used copies of her first two albums, but I didn't notice any used copies of her newer albums. I think I can tell you why, too. Once people have her album on their turntable, they will never give it up. Not even one used copy on ebay tonight. That tells me a lot - that many people agree with my assessment of this being a great album.