Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Handsome Family - Far From Any Road b/w The Forgotten Lake

"From the dusty May sun
Her looming shadow grows
Hidden in the branches of the poison creosote
She twines her spines up slowly
Towards the boiling sun
And when I touched her skin
My fingers ran with blood

In the hushing dusk under a swollen silver moon
I came walking with the wind to watch the cactus bloom
And strange hands halted me, the looming shadows danced
I fell down to the thorny brush and felt the trembling hands

When the last light warms the rocks
And the rattlesnakes unfold
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones

And rise with me forever
Across the silent sand
And the stars will be your eyes
And the wind will be my hands"

A ten year old tune given new life by T-Bone Burnett this year by including it as the song under-girding the titles of the HBO drama "True Detective". The album also contains a slower tune that digs deep into my psyche - The Forgotten Lake. The forgotten lake has the power to help you "remember everything". Scary thought, with music to match. A search reveals the Handsome Family has 10 CDs floating around out there. Treasures hidden deep in the "waters that float us down."

Far From Any Road scars my mind with the same intensity as Matthew McConaughey on the show. Seldom do I hear a TV theme song that both enhances the story and lives on as a set piece on it's own. The reason may be simple - the piece wasn't written in response to a plot line, but appeared 10 years earlier in a world of it's own. Thanks to a wise decision by a TV series the tune is now a part of all of our worlds. Amen. The Handsome Family - Far From Any Road

b/w The Forgotten Lake