Monday, December 08, 2008

Delta Spirit – Strange Vine b/w People, Turn Around

“The sun came while you were shining. The tide flew when we were writing a symphony.” Some poetry about working with other musicians. More important is the beat. These guys rock the week into a good feeling, touching all levels of the tide – surfing or flying, doesn’t matter much. “Songs that had lost their luster, finally they found their color”. The tide around here is more of a Monday party atmosphere with this CD going round and round.

The merriment includes time to think through some important issues with a very special sing-along tune called People, Turn Around:

eighteen and jaded with guns in their hands
they were fighting for freedom and just what is that?

bills to the banks and food for the kids
money for college but couldn't get in

made all the grades but got taken to task
by a man in an alley wearing a mask

screamed and she begged as the people walked by
the man he just laughed and the woman she cried

well its time all you people, turn around
for the life we've been living, messing around
the blood we've been spilling will bleed us dry
the life we've been killing is the life like mine

the needle is sweet and the snow it is pure
the pain I've been hiding from I'm finding a cure

the night it is warm well the light it is cold
the family I'm loving I'm calling them home

my heart it is thumping, the veins they've been blue
the blood that’s been pumping still hasn't met you

the beard that I'm growing, not fully grown
the years are not coming the way I thought they would

hoping and waiting for something to sing
like the angels in heaven, the bones on the street

hoping for love to find a new voice
the song thats needs singing has already been sung before

Many shoutouts, including Streetwalker (“Oh Lord, set me free”), People C’mon (“there'll be peace on my soul someday”), Children (“you're the ones to lead”), and Tomorrow Goes Away (“in the evening when I wake up I would love to hear you say, ooh-ooh-ooh”). Delta Spirit