Sunday, April 06, 2008

Drive-By Truckers - Perfect Timing

Upbeat pleasures for a Sunday afternoon, with lots of humor to kick up the heels. “I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long.” Love that motto, think I’ll steal it for my own. Would look great on my desk at work. The group is a fantastic mix of artists because everyone takes turns singing on the album, and every song sounds different from each other. One minute I feel like we’re influenced by Merle Haggard, the next by Lou Reed. Fills me with pleasure because my ears remind me all music is from the same source, and life is made for the living. Shoutouts include Bob (“goes to church every Sunday, every Sunday that the fish ain’t bitin’. . . he always had more dogs than he ever had friends”), A Ghost to Most (“Skeleton’s ain’t nowhere to stick their money, nobody makes britches that size”) and You And Your Crystal Meth (“I used to love you, now you suck”). Tough, intelligent and picturesque album. Drive-By Truckers