Sunday, April 13, 2008

Maggie Walters – Fingerprints

“I wait for the rain to come wash the fingerprints that you left on my face, in my heart, in my veins.” Extremely poetic music singing strong lyrics about a relationship that probably is not worth giving a second thought. Of course we all do. Maggie gives words to pain that is difficult to describe, and we can thank her for that. I know I’ll ‘borrow’ these words for memories that haunt me – “Shoved it inside and said I’d deal with this later”. And, of course, later never seems to arrive. The entire album is a meditation on life and relationships; some fun “I loved a madman once, I loved a felon once, I did it just because” (Midwestern Hurricane), and others more serious, “Made you love the little things about me, the very things you loved in me are the things you took away” (Sundays). Well-crafted poetry with excellent tunes and fine singing, along with a sensitive back-up band who enhance the music and do not distract. More shoutouts for Under The Table, Girls Like Us, and Be Careful Love. “They would not sing if there’s no such song.” An entertaining Sunday afternoon, complete with thought-provoking, delightfully spiced eartaste joy. Maggie Walters