Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Elvis Costello - No Hiding Place

The band starts this humpday album out with a rocking, repeating chord. Sounds recorded live throughout! “Whatever I said about you, I didn’t say it behind your back.” Maybe my memory is shot, but I don’t recall Elvis Costello reaching for a na-na-na chorus before. It’s good to hear him running out of words, proves the wordsmith is human. “I pay for my immortal sins!” The music is exactly what you’d expect from an up-beat Elvis, they lyrics as difficult as ever to decipher (is he saying “my mind’s a terrible disgrace” or “my, my, a terrible disgrace”?) Doesn’t matter, the band is rocking, there’s a new voice singing back-up harmonies, and it’s fun to dance to. “True love is rocking up and down!” I’ll let the critics jabber on about the relative merits of Watching The Detectives vrs American Gangster Time, and just let you know the American Gangster Time dylanfarfisa is my shoutout tune tonight (“I’d rather go blind for speaking my mind”), along with the always drippin’ future of Go Away. Dance on! Elvis Costello