Thursday, July 03, 2008

Crooked Still - Oh, Agamemnon

This song starts off with a fiddle, so my mind wanders to the name of the band and these folks hanging around the crooked still brewing up their paths to heaven as they play all day, never giving thought to making the crooked straight. Way off the subject, I know; bit that’s kinda what happens to my mind when the players are so obviously into their music. They are playing well and I am well playing. The singer, happily, comes along and intrudes lovingly on my reveries. She tells the tale of lovers meeting and talking, and midway through invites the fiddlers back. “Sit down beside me, sing to me a song. Play me a fiddle tune and forget about what we did wrong, how we stayed away too long.” The musical arrangement fits these words, I am able to feel transported back 200 years or 200 hours or both. With honesty and integrity both in the singing and the playing. “All I can give you is this gentle heart, and I forgive you if it rips your world apart.” Crooked Still