Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Greta Gaines - L Is for Loser

“The one thing I just can’t understand is the last thing you said when you left me. You said, ‘Girl, I gotta go, but I want you to know that I love you, I still really love you.’ And I said ‘What?!?! You love me? Huh? You love me!’” The energy here is infectious & as sad as this story seems on page, the performance is slyly humorous and jammed packed with wonderful irony. “I get it now! L is for loser, down and leftover. O is for ‘Oh, I didn’t meant to run you over’. V is for very vapid and sleazy. And E is for hey, it ain’t easy being easy.” The story is put together very well, the music fits the words with ease, but the very best part is the vocal presentation – I am convinced this sassy singer is about to slap someone across the head with a frying pan. A big thick cast iron frying pan. And she’s holding it like a baseball bat with two hands. Shoutouts for Armageddon Love Song (“he drinks he says for the forgettin’”) and I’m High (“watching bees collect pollen from flowers, has it been seconds or hours? I left my restless self and it feels good.”) A fun tasting, well done album. Greta Gaines