Friday, July 04, 2008

Marion Square - Fireworks

“I can’t make you love me, you can’t make me leave. I won’t fight your freedom, maybe you could leave.” This is too easy a shot, so I’ll try not to stay political too long, but the title of the song, our celebration of our independence while stealing the independence of others, well, like I said, it’s an easy shot. And I won’t apologize, because I am truly feeling all these things politically. But the song, luckily, is much better than all that. The narrator goes on to tell us that no matter how this all eventually goes down, whether he leaves or stays, she’ll still miss him. A tender song, with a melody to fit the words. The fireworks in this song is a symbol for “you and all your glory, me and my misery.” A string sextet works in tandem with a guitar to pull our emotions all the way to the dance floor and express our dreams and doubts with whatever relationship we are struggling with at the moment. Nice work. I have to shout out Draw The Line. I truly never thought I’d be shouting out a song that someone starts by whistling off-key. But, it catches me, and is a thankfully short intro to some good solo guitar work, and an interesting story. “I know why things got strange that day.” Marion Square