Thursday, July 31, 2008

Maria Muldaur - Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler)

"Money, we make it. Before we see it, they take it.” Some things never change, and Maria has her soul feeling the needs of mankind. She has collected songs here that focus on the everyday needs of humanity. “Natural fact is that I can’t pay these taxes.” Truth. I got my tax papers this week and noticed that although house prices are going down around here and everywhere else in this great country, the tax people decided my home was worth 10% more than last year. 10% a year! Can you imagine? I never look at these things because I was taught that death and taxes were inevitable. I’ve always paid, but I’m noticing I have to work 6 1/2 weeks every year just to pay the tax bill. Scary times. I know there’s no chance of wage increases, that hasn’t happened for at least 10 years. Yet every year we pay more for basic needs and taxes. The government always wins. “The poor you will have with you always.” So said the savior, and such is the creed the government lives by. Keep ‘em poor so they don’t have time and energy to complain.

And Marvin’s song keeps rolling on just as it did 30+ years ago. Fine guitar solo, by the way. “Rockets red glare. Bombs bursting in air. Bills pile up sky high. Send that boy off to die.” Shoutouts for a very slow, soul-filled version of War (What is it good for?), a gospel-tinged version of We Shall Be Free, a beautiful full choir version of Down By The Riverside, and a tender, thought-provoking dream and prayer, Everyone In The World (Love Is The Answer, Love Is The Way).

Maria Muldaur – Yes We Can!