Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eric Bibb – Get Onboard (album)

“I woke up this morning with my mind stayed on freedom.” A Wednesday night humpday dance prayer-meetin’ with tons of acoustic manners! I am struggling to find the ‘definitive’ cut – this entire album grooves every soulful ounce of my being. The bluesy guest appearance of Ruthie Foster on Conversations is a sultry and hot “picnic by the river”. And anyone who has read me for more than a week knows that I’m going to love any song that reminds us the “God’s Kingdom is in us all.” Hallelujah! “Not just a chosen few, but every one that’s true.” Amen, and another hallelujah for that. “Lookin’ in the mirror, I’m asking am I the change I want to see? You know the world is just a picture of what’s inside of you and me.” This album has everything a soul needs for refreshment – some superb guitar playing, understated percussion, powerful gospel voices, a variety of flavors, and a total spirit-filled experience. “We’re marching on to the promised land. Step by step we’re walking toward freedom.” I have a decent catalog of a dozen Eric Bibb albums, and while I have no problem recommending each and every one as a unique and powerful experience, this new one is sincerely special and worth digging out. “I live for the Spirit I Am.” There’s an extra CD with just Eric and his guitar that has my favorite song about Katrina simply called Water. I’ve heard literally 100 songs about that hurricane, and this is one of the very few that reaches deep into my soul and relives the experience in an honest, non-political manner. The 2nd CD ends with a beautiful instrumental version of I Shall Not Be Moved. Of course, as you can tell, that’s a bit funny because this album has moved me deeply, indeed. Eric Bibb