Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Greg Merritt - Dream Through a Leaf

The acoustic guitar sets me up right away. I know I’m going to be listening to something that is not quite mainstream, because the time signature is not your average folk singer heart on your sleeve easy beat. Less than two full measures in when the drummer joins in on the upbeat is when I know I’m in for some true excitement. The song title clued me in that the lyrics might not be standard fare either. Turns out it doesn’t matter because my ears are so pleased with the tempos that I get carried away on the wind by the melody and find it very difficult to focus on the story line. Especially about ½ way through when a violin takes a solo that makes me fall on my face in love. The solo is made even more potent by its short appearance. Like it’s there, then it isn’t. The dream spoken of by the narrator is fully here, complete with a jam ending between the players that fills me with grandiose thoughts of being able to fly way further than I’ve ever reached before. Tasty. I apologize for not giving you a clue as to the story. Simply know that the title is well chosen and I have been able to dream through a leaf and beyond by listening to this cut. Greg Merritt