Monday, September 01, 2008

Mark Stary & The Whiskey Roses - No Excuse

Today was a holiday here in the US, known as labor day. So, it called for an extra night of partying, which of course leads to excuses. Honesty in music always attracts me, as does energy, and this song has both. “Sorry I got so drunk last night, what was I thinking? Didn’t mean to wake you up while you were sleeping. Some ruffians were at the bar I couldn’t say “no” to. Believe me, baby, you know me, I’ve got no excuse.” Fun presentation. I do have one question, a minor point. If the narrator drank as much as he said he did, where’s he get all this energy? I want some of whatever he’s got! “There was Merle on the jukebox, whiskey on the shelf. Pool for a quarter and an old friend drinking by himself.” Yee-haw! You know how impolite it is to let a friend drink by himself! This song does double-duty. It works fine as a Monday morning wake-me up, and also works great as an excuse to play for the wife when you have no real excuse. Mark Stary & The Whiskey Roses