Friday, October 03, 2008

Nils Lofgrin – Flying On The Ground

Sometimes I get so used to a voice and a technique that I cannot even imagine another person singing a tune that I’ve heard 1000 times with pleasure. This album shows the shallowness of such thinking. It’s a surprise that I’ll speak of a meditative album like this on my Friday night party. This week I simply feel mellow, and whatever you may hear about this, it’s definitely mellow. All of these songs by Neil Young are well-known and played often on “classic” rock stations, but Nils offers them up with tenderness. The songs from different eras laid out with the same musical palette makes for an interesting set. Makes my ears hope that Nils will someday cover an album of his own compositions in a similar acoustic setting. Shoutouts for World On A String, Don’t Cry No Tears, On The Way Home & Harvest Moon. Nils Lofgren