Monday, August 25, 2008

Alkaline Trio - Do You Wanna Know?

I really wanted a good song about learning something new to start off this new school year. Too bad, so sad, I got stuck on this album all day. The title to this song is kinda like education a little bit, but the song itself is pure high-energy humor sung with a straight face. The action is around these two folks deep in a bad time in their relationship. The narrator is confessing, “Honestly, I've never lied more to myself”. The confession obviously doesn’t work for the other party because very soon we are exposed to this hilarious scene – “Don't close my door! Don't leave me out with these mosquitoes trying to drink up all my wine.” Perhaps the reason I’m laughing so hard is we are knee-deep in mosquitoes this week – the rains have somehow or another watered the mosquito seeds and we’re making up for having a bite-free summer. These suckers are deet-proof. Anyway, I’ve been forced out on the porch enough in my life to know exactly what this narrator is going through in this little mini-movie. “I cross my heart and hope to live, with you my darling.” Very well played – low key humor. Love it. Alkaline Trio

Alkaline Trio on Eartaste