Saturday, August 02, 2008

Kelley McRae - Sparrow

“Sometimes I feel like a sparrow sold for a penny or two ‘cause the road I travel was cleared by a fool and a thief and a charmer – they wrote the rules.” Pretty heavy lyrics for a Saturday night. The poem is very well written, the melody wonderfully sung, and the accompaniment is subtle and enhancing. Great dinner. I know, you’re wondering about the Saturday night dance. Sometimes it’s just too hot. Went up to 104 today, and this evening has cooled down to 102. The fan blades are turning 30 mph, but aren’t helping so I’m focused on the words of this artist. The narrator here pulls no punches – her relationship failed and life isn’t looking real great right now. Anyone who hasn’t been here is a liar, and it’s wonderful to have a writer who can put pen to paper and write out the words we all want to say. Sometimes. “Where do I go when I’m homesick for the place that never felt like home? Tell me, tell me, where do I go when I’m lonesome for the arms that left me alone?” Emotional? Yes. Cleansing? Very. A good record to have on the shelf for those special sometimes when you need a little help to recall. “Sometimes I feel like a burden to everyone that I know. If I could float away, I’d come back like snow. Well, it ain’t all the time, but it’s more than you know.” Shoutouts for Long Walk Home and So Far. Exceptional flavors. Kelley McRae
Listen In