Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cass Fox - Daddy Dear

“I laid the table/I made the tea/for my brothers, my father and me.” Well, anyone who prepares a meal in song has to be mentioned by eartaste. Not really, but this is some tasty music, with some really personal lyrics. A minute into the song father says, “You’re a disgrace to yourself and your family.” I’m not sticking up for the guy, but I was also a lousy father. I didn’t use those exact words, but I was unkind to my children in many ways as they were attempting to outgrow the nest. “It’s the devil who leads you/Guides and deceives you.” Boy, does that type of abusive language hit home. There’s just no real instruction book in child rearing, but hopefully the kind of honesty that Cass has will allow more fathers to look at themselves and bring more love to the table. I can’t change my past of being unkind, but I can be honest with my children now, especially my son, and let them know and remember the harshness doesn’t work short term, and hurts long term. Nice job on both the lyric and the music, Cass. Keep it up! Cass Fox