Sunday, June 29, 2008

Carly Simon - The Last Samba

“Soon this crescent moon will fade, becoming only broken shell and half-remembered tunes. So take me then, here on this sand in the midst of these stars, swaying enthralled to the fading guitars.” Carly sings this Jimmy Webb tune with a jazz pianist and convinces me that she is able to take me off to the beaches of Brazil. “Lost in the beach in this trance, they’re playing the last samba – shall we dance?” It’s a slow dance, but I’m enjoying it, especially the flute fade-out. Nice work, unexpected. I can close my eyes and know I’m on the beach. Jimmy Webb has been able to take me to Phoenix, Galveston, Wichita, Oklahoma, Up Up and Away, and even to a park where someone left the cake out in the rain over the years, so why not the sandy beaches of Rio? Shoutout for a tune a bit more contemporary, So Many People To Love. “What’s an angel gonna do when she needs some loving too?” Carly Simon