Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Phil Christie - Rearview Mirror

Folk guitars travel over the highways. “Midnight moon on a night, muddy, black as coal, trail of dust and a heavy load. Everything I once held dear in my rearview mirror.” A familiar lonely tale, but told with new poetry. “Desert wind blows a tumbleweed up on the rise” evokes one feeling and a moment later “sunlight around her like a prayer” digs deeper into another feeling, a memory of my life lived, perhaps a bit callously. I’m sure some of my past would yell at me -> you weren’t looking, you were very callous. Ah. Takes good music to pull out confessions from a hard-hearted man. And Phil obliges with much good music. Shoutout tunes are the beautiful Random Acts Of Kindness, a tale of the small flowers I let slide through my fingers, and Me & My Guitar, a song that many people write but few succeed at. Phil succeeded. “Three chords and a simply melody opened up my heart and set me free.” Thanks for stirring my soul! Phil Christie

Phil On Eartaste