Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lyambiko - Mawe Mawe / I Sing Just To Know That I'm Alive

This medley captures the vocal qualities of Lyambiko’s voice with a slight bass accenting a percussionist. I enter into a deep space of understanding why music moves me as my body swirls and twirls to the peace that passes dreamstates. Nina comes through and smiles and giggles at the small peeks of her music over a 20 year period being reinvestigated for a new generation, a generation seldom introduced to subtleness. Nina, of course, brought Nat King Cole and Jaques Brel to her generation. Fascinating thinking about the how paths of music integrate cultures where nothing else does. Suddenly the music quickens and yes- there is the piano introducing the second part of this mix with total immersion into the knowledge that even as she sings, I dance “just to know that I’m alive, and I place just to know that I survive.” She’s singing my name. I’m pleased. Shoutouts for Four Women, Ne Me Quitte Pas, and the subtle passion of the piano on My Baby Just Cares For Me. Lyambiko