Sunday, June 08, 2008

Emmylou Harris - Gold

Mow the lawn before the heat hits 90, cause someone told me we’ll be hitting over 100 today. Shower & hit the porch with a huge glass of ice tea to wash down the dirt caked around the inside of my mouth. Hasn’t rained around here, so “mowing” the “lawn” is truly nothing more than knocking down the high weeds and stirring up a lot of dirt. Of course, as hard and long as I work, there’s still someone there to criticize.

So, feels good to hear a woman singing sweet songs in this heat, without stirring up more heat, if you know what I mean. Emmylou fits this need perfectly. This song in particular has an edge to it that manages to make the gulf breeze that’s swimming through these hills feel a bit less hot. “Oh, the night is growing colder and the stars have lost their shine. And I have been forsaken by everything I thought was mine, for in the darkest hour when the final story’s told, no matter how bright I glitter I can never be gold.” Then Dolly comes in singing harmony and despite the dark words I am floating in the heavens. Get even higher when Vince Gill adds a third harmony. Don’t reach these heights very often, but it sure is great to reach them. “I could sparkle like a diamond, have silver line my soul, but no matter how bright I glitter I can never be gold.” Thanks! The whole album is sweet and listenable, mostly familiar songs and a few new ones all maintaining a tranquil afternoon of peaceful remembrances.

A huge shoutout for Not Enough, which fills a deep thirst inside because we buried my neighbor last week. She had gone to a nursing home a month ago, and every time I thought I should visit I found something else to do, figuring I’d see her again soon enough. I missed her calling me from her porch when I got home, and thought of her, but didn’t visit. Now I'll never hear her voice calling from that porch again. We had an easy relationship with few disagreements, but when we did she was patient and understanding until I came to understand that she, of course, was right. Emmylou manages to capture all the emotions I’m feeling with her beautiful poetry. Emmylou Harris