Thursday, October 11, 2007

Patti Scialfa - Play It As It Lays

A slow drum introduces a guitar, bass and organ leading to the narrator listening to a “sad song on the radio.” She’s out on the road, with the past echoing the “windshield wipers slapping time” bringing thoughts of Janis and Bobbie and Kris to mind as the narrator goes deeper into her own story. “It woke up something that was below the skin. Want to tell you so much, but where do I start, where to begin? Let’s start with how I lost my kindness and how I found it once again, and I’m gonna play it as it lays.” As the story continues we hear of a long term relationship and all the ups and downs involved with that. “Say a prayer for the broken-hearted, say a prayer for love.” Wonderful poem, excellent music. Shoutouts for Play Around, Bad For You and Black Ladder. Patti Scialfa