Saturday, December 01, 2007

Christmas Time Is Here Again

The Beatles sang this little ditty on their 1967 fan club recording and for some reason it comes back to my ears every year. It’s time to buy some holiday music, and I will again recommend the
New Fountain Christmas
as a good place to start if you enjoy good old fashioned down-home holiday music floating around the air where you live. I’ve pulled it out again this year, along with a few new ones that popped in that make me reach for eggnog & cookies. I’m not going to bother with the loads of compilations that came in this year. They are all fun, but I know you can find them just about anywhere you’re shopping this season. I saw some at my local food mart. You know those – Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Elton John, etc. I’m going to focus on those you’ll need to purposely seek out that are worth the search.

Deviations Project - Hark The Herald Angels Sing
An interesting concept – mix what we used to call “new age” music with a great violin player, and a drop or two or ginger with the sugar and you have some cookies worth eating all season long. What we call in the trade – a fun stocking stuffer. However, I just read in their blog that the actual album has been delayed, so you will need a fast download site to access the album from emusic or itunes if you want your copy this year (which you should). That’s actually pretty cool, cause you can stuff the stocking with an mp3 player this year.

Joe Wrabek - I'm Giving Mom A Dead Dog For Christmas
I have to let you know I’ve been listening to this song since early Spring, and I have been itching to tell you about it forever. Sure, it’s a Christmas song, but it’s also just plain fun. I almost did a mid-summer Christmas special for this one, but decided to wait till now. This one is a classic that will ride along with Grandma got Run Over By A Reindeer for years and years to come. The link I found to this song includes the lyrics, so I won’t bother to re-create them here. Well, since you insist, I’ll share just one line, “I know she’ll think that he’s all right ‘cause he don’t bark, and he don’t bite and he’s not the kind of dog that runs away…” Now you should add a bit of brandy to your eggnog right now (unless you’re a Christmas beer fan only, then go raid the fridge), go read the rest of the lyrics, and be ready to laugh this Christmas season away with honest, heartfelt joy. Thanks, Joe! And thanks also for the shoutouts, Santa’s Fallen And He Can’t Get Up, and the equally hilarious Can I Have Your Car When The Rapture Comes?

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!