Monday, April 30, 2007

Bowling For Soup - 99 Biker Friends

The noise is great – really wakes me up on a Monday! Lyrically, this is a fascinating concept. Take a serious theme (wife beating) and fill it with irony and a few giggles. The point gets made, trust me. Most of this has to be heard to appreciate it. But I’m not giving it away when I quote this “Tell all your friends how you put her in her place. Seven pounds of make-up just to hide her beat-up face.” I’ve learned that vigilante justice is really not a great idea, but this guy is not claiming to be innocent. In fact, he’s bragging about his deeds. I’m all for 99 biker friends waiting to beat his assets. “It takes a tough man to slap her around. Such a bad guy to keep such a good girl down.” Well-written and precise. “You tell her that you’re sorry, blame it on the beer, your dad was mean to you…” All the excuses of a drunk. Like everyone else, I know guys like this. Probably the saddest part is the women that keep going back to them, but that’s another song. In the meantime, this song is well thought out, and extremely dancible! I left out all the really cool lines, because they are fun to hear with the music. “Start running now.” Shoutout for No Opinion – I really love this because you just know Weird Al would take this tune and tear into it with some hilarious lyrics. Not this time! There’s no way even weird Al can be funnier than this! Bowling For Soup