Sunday, April 15, 2007

Steve Vaclavik - I've Lost All Faith

Someone will write me and ask me why I posted this song title on a Sunday. Stop sweating. “I hate to say it, I’ve lost all faith, in you and me, and the whole damn human race.” The character in this song has lost his faith in humanity. Any reasonable, honest person has felt that from time to time. “We’re waiting on some saviors, why don’t they show their face?” Steve is pulling this punk song off in a wonderfully folk way, with just his voice and an acoustic guitar.

“Kids are shooting kids and their parents aren’t around, but they want to cry and moan when their Johnny’s in the ground. And those elected to office have plans for you and me as they sit above the law and hope that we don’t see.” The truth in all of this is we are the ones who elected these guys, even if we voted for the other guys, because in the end everyone must be corrupted or there would be someone at the highest level speaking out against corruption. The reason no one is speaking out is obvious, they all have evidence against them, so no one can step forward or the fan will blow stuff back in their face. And what do we do about it? We’re all to blame.

“Now you probably don’t like what I’m saying, or the way that it’s been said, but my only goal has been to awaken some thoughts in your head.”

Shoutout for Dance Little Girl. “Dance little girl like a top! Momma won’t dance and daddy won’t stop!” The domestic scene is admirable, and Steve is wonderful at including the entire family. “Dance little girl like a top! Your brother’s at war and the shooting won’t stop.”

I seldom give away the ending of a story, but I break my own rules from time to time because Steve has my heart way up in my throat so it hurts and tears streaming down my face, so I need to share his powerful words. “Dance little girl like a top! Momma needs a smile and so does your pop. Dance little girl, please don’t stop. Your brother’s coming home with a flag on top. Dance little girl. Dance.”

Steve Vaclavik