Friday, April 20, 2007

Putumayo Presents - Gypsy Groove

Putumayo is a sampler label that scouts the world for great traditional dance music, often enhanced with a modern beat. Excellent Friday night party record. Putumayo is always pleasurable, and always fills my ears with fantastic flavors from around the world. This time out we’re entranced by the Roma spices that have been recreated world-wide because of the universal love of gypsy music. My grandfather always told me that we had gypsy blood, but I felt he used that to explain his restlessness. My father is the same way, and I guess I could be accused of that when I look back over this life. Why bring that up? Because this music is reaching into something primal in me. These dances are beyond dance. The entire album is eartastable, but three need to be highlighted with shoutouts --> Karen Gafaurdjanov from Usbekistan, Anselmo Crew from Hungary, and the Eastenders from Germany. Every music collector should have some Putumayo in their collection, and this is a good one to start with. Gypsy Groove