Sunday, April 29, 2007

John Barrows – How Not To Make It In The Pop World

Subtitled “Diary of an almost has-been”. This book was easy to put down, but I don’t mean this in a harsh way. As I read the book it was very easy to picture John in my living room talking. As I finished a chapter, I’d put it down and ramble through my memories of similar scenes. Much like a discussion was taking place. Small things, like the descriptions of ‘dressing rooms’ and ‘rehearsal spaces’.

John was active in the live music arena during the same years I was – the only difference is most of his experiences were in England, with some in Europe, whereas mine were stateside – mostly in California. I knew the music of and/or reputations of 85% of the bands he mentioned in the book. The band he was/is most remembered for is The Swinging Laurels – a group that had some press over here, but I cannot recall if I ever heard them. No matter, he could say the same about the bands I was with.

But the stories of the clubs, the club owners, the reality of the pay for performing in venues, the truth of being the “opening band” for a ‘major’ artist, the escapades of a band, the thefts that took place of band equipment, other people’s perceptions of your wealth once you’ve been on TV, etc, etc, etc. John brings the truths of a band on the road to life for all of the thousands upon thousands of bands that perform, record, perform, record, perform.

Every one of those guys were like John and I – gave up the chance for a secure future for a dream. But we would have never become who we are if we had not pursued the dream. I have friends who stuck with corporate life – one guy in particular makes me realize how good it was that I didn’t do that – 1 1/2 years away from retirement they “laid” him off. He was in one of my first bands, and although he doesn’t talk about it, I’d bet he wishes now that he had taken the road less traveled.

This book is definitely a way to stir up memories if you were in a band. If you are in a band, you’ll also get some giggles – because really, nothing has changed. If you’re not in a band, this book may make you glad you didn’t take that route. If you simply love music and are interested in how bands survive on a daily basis, you’ll learn a lot here. Thanks John! Paperback or Hardback