Saturday, April 28, 2007

Ray Charles - Feel So Bad

This is the second Saturday in a row Ray opens up my Saturday night dance party. “My woman has me talking in an unknown tongue. She got me saying words I’ve never said before.” I love this performance and I’ve been wracking my brain trying to analyze why, so I can be succinct and erudite. The lyrics are a mish-mash of every other ‘she left me, it hurts’ song on the books. Ray doesn’t go out of his way to convince us the pain is deep in his heart, although the pain is obvious. Lived. But what sells me is the pleasure and the boogie. I am entertained, and I love being entertained by a master. The piano is superb and the band is in tip-top shape, with a stunning sax solo. “Sock it to me.” Shoutout goes to Look What They've Done To My Song. Ray Charles