Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Taylor Hicks - The Runaround

“It’s a whole new education. I’m learning from you all the time.” The percussion starts the drive on this song, and it’s great, but once the voice cuts in all types of flavor break loose, and it’s a great dinner. I’m eating some stuffed poblanos tonight covered with fresh tomato and cilantro salsa, and Taylor Hicks is stuffing my ears with a dancing rhythm that’s keep a smile on my face all night. “I’m getting an ‘A’ in broken hearts, I’ve got my degree in crying!” The good news is he isn’t crying the slow heart on my sleeve blues, he’s rocking the house, complete with horns. Be ready to boogie to a perfect 3 minute pop rock earful of bliss.

Shoutout to Gonna Move, which has many hilarious truthful lines for budding thinkers and/or musicians. For example, when talking about high school, he sings “they told me they’d teach me to live by their rules so I wouldn’t be nobody’s fool. I found out, not too long, that their rules wouldn’t let me sing my song” Ah, this truth of education has been around forever. Truth seekers and freethinkers need not apply to American education. The quip about college is just as fun (after a rousing harmonica solo!): “There they said they’d teach me how to think. They gave me books to read and papers to write. They didn’t know about this boy’s common fight. I found out after awhile that reading those books was making me lose my smile. And I knew in order to not conceal, I had to play my music and express what I feel. I’m gonna move away from here – you can find me if you want to go there.” The bridge is fun acapella with percussion accompaniment. Thanks!

Taylor Hicks