Sunday, January 20, 2008

Kate Nash - Merry Happy

“Watching me like you never watched no one.Don’t tell me that you didn’t try to check out my bum, cause I know that you did, cause your friend told me that you liked it.” Caught. But the fun is just beginning. Now that he’s caught, the narrator goes along with the truth and they hang together long enough to create a situation where she now says, “I know now that we were not the people that we turned out to be.” Seems she was willing to give the bum-watcher a chance at what he was lusting for, and she even muses about the fact that she was pleased for awhile; “you make me merry, make me very very happy.” This story, alas, does not have a perfectly merry happy ending, and I’ll even give it away – “but you obviously, you didn’t want to stick around.” I gave away the ending because the music is the important aspect to this song, and very much worth paying attention to. It starts out with a piano hitting 2 keys. Very simple, just like the lyric. But as the story deepens and the plot thickens, so does the music. Very nicely arranged & performed superbly. Kate Nash