Monday, January 28, 2008

Willie Nelson – Worry B Gone

After First I have to admit to being wrong wrong wrong. On his 50th anniversary in the recording industry Willie Nelson released Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond Of Each Other & I felt for sure that was his crowning achievement. Well, the man hasn’t quit, and he’s still singing and playing with enthusiasm & hilarity.

My mother first bought a Willie Nelson “Long Player” in 1961. She was a huge fan of Patsy Cline, and read the magazines, so she scouted around and found the Willie Nelson record. At some point in that year or the next she scrounged up a version of Rainy Day Blues b/w Nightlife. And I never got around to asking where she got a copy of No Place For Me b/w Lumberjack, but it still holds a place of wonder in her collection. What I’m saying is that Willie has been a part of my eartaste adventure for 47 years, and my mom obviously had good contacts before that. We had about 15 albums that were released in the 60’s. Willie covered an early Joni Mitchell song in 1970. In 1971 he was covering James Taylor. I remember my mom swooning when she heard Willie singing Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain in the mid 70’s. He seemed old then!

I remember my mom’s favorite advice, “if you don’t have something good to say…” Well, you know the rest, and regular readers know I only pick on the best songs for that reason. So, let’s talk about the two good songs here.

“Give me just one more sip of that worry be gone. I plan on feeling much better before too long!” Guy Clark lyrics to a tune that’s Willy 100%. Coulda been recorded in 1968, 1978, or any year till now. “Got a world of trouble that I need to forget, I’m on my way, but I ain’t there yet.” Good, vintage eartasting, with lotsa bluesy licks to dance the night away. “Well I can’t suffer fools wasting my time. Don’t give me no advice that rhymes. Just give me one more puff of that worry be gone.” If you love your Nelson undiluted, this is the perfect antidote. The co-singer, Kenny Chesney, does not distract one bit. Classic Willie! The shoutout is You Don’t Think I’m Funny Anymore! “The more things change, the more they stay the same.” Willie Nelson