Sunday, June 17, 2007

Colin Hay - I Wish I Was Still Drinking

They say there’s no such thing as an ex-alcoholic, that as long as the urge is there, blah, blah. You’ve heard it all. I’m not going to condone alcoholism, but I can say that people who share a beer seem more relaxed and friendly than those who don’t.

Well, now that I’ve lost most of my politically correct friends, let’s move on to this cool song. “I wish I was still drinking whiskey, wine, and beer. The sound of glasses clinking, so sweet to my ear. I wouldn't have to listen to the time that's running out, I'd use it much more wisely, I'd drink and fall about.” Hear the irony? I hope so. Colin isn’t really condoning too much drinking either – who in the world really, in their heart, want to “fall about.” Okay, that’s out of the way (again). Notice my defensiveness, LOL! “I wish I was still drinking, then I’d have no fear. I’d tell you how to fix the world, then have another beer.”

And, we have a small gospel section to make this a perfect Sunday song. “I wish i was still drinking, when nothing is too clear. Like the tv evangelist fueling peoples fear - taking all their hard earned cash in the name of the holy one.” And, like any great folk song we have to listen to a bit of current events. “I wish i was still drinking, I was a lot more fun. Life of the endless party, friends with anyone. I wouldnt have to answer for the promises I broke. Like the president today, oh when he drank and snorted coke.”

Here’s my warning – if you tell anyone I said its okay to get yourself stinking drunk, I will make sure to let Bush know you have WMD in your basement, because that’s not what I said. Have fun, and do it in moderation. Shoutout for the rock & rollin This Time I Got You. Colin Hay