Thursday, June 07, 2007

Rufus Wainwright - Going To A Town

“I’m going to a town that has already been burnt down. I’m going to a place that has already been disgraced. I’m gonna see some folks that have already been let down. I’m so tired of America. I’m going to make it up for all of the Sunday Times. I’m going to make it up for all of the nursery rhymes. They never really seem to want to tell the truth. I’m so tired of you, America.” The lyrics, brilliant, are underscored by the music, even more brilliant in its tired chord changes and melody emphasizing the meaning behind the words. A direct hit at the Christian Culture in America that preaches hatred from the pulpits and the White House. “Tell me, do you really think you go to hell for having love?” A smart bomb to the heart of our culture. “After soaking the body of Jesus Christ in blood, I’m so tired of you America.” Shoutout for Between My Legs. Rufus Wainwright