Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Vanessa Van Spall - Hopeful

“An hour past the sunrise in a San Francisco morning mist driving down Van Ness toward the shoreline.” Sounds like a novel, or an on-the spot reporter. Notice the lack of traditional rhyme. No prob, add a voice and some background music and we move far beyond anything we want to consider “traditional”. In all reality I feel like I’m floating above the mist looking down on the scene as she sings. The narration tells us this is the first time driving this street, but doesn’t tell us what causes the despair that’s being felt. Turns out to be okay because the song looks forward, not back. “And I sure feel hopeful. Hopeful that today will be beautiful and chase despair away.” As I float ever higher, I can admit this song has accomplished that for me. The morning fog images of San Francisco brings back many good memories, however the song transcends place and works just as well 2000 miles away. Vanessa Van Spall