Monday, June 11, 2007

Landon - Dirty Virgin

“Oh, hi. I don’t usually do this, call to converse woman to woman. I’ve been hearing things I’ve tried not to believe but your name keeps coming up. . .is it only the first time you’ve slept with someone’s man?” The seemingly conversational tone of the narrative is masterfully presented in the form of a pop song. When an artist makes it look this easy there is obviously a lot of difficult work put into the final product. The song starts deceptively, a casio-type drum opening, so I expected something very amateurish. But this deception is much like the deception exposed by the lyrics – something is going on beneath the surface worth investigating. I love the way she starts off level-headed, then works into the reality of her feelings. Scary. Outstanding. With a shoutout to Red Lipstick. Landon