Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Jamie T - Brand New Bass Guitar

“I’m gonna buy myself a handgun. Whatd’ya think? I’m gonna shoot down everyone.” Don’t let the guy scare you. Well, maybe yes. Who knows? He’s in England, as far as I know, so we’re safe for a week or two. When I first heard the intro to this hump day party song I giggled and thought, no way. This is not going to be written about by the eartaster. But, lo and behold here we are. Why? What changed? The humor helps, but the song is actually infectious, and I want to hear it every day. I’ve been saving it for awhile, unsure of myself, unsure of the attitude of Jamie-T, but the more I listen the more I’m convinced – this guy makes me dance and smile, so let’s talk.

Here’s the good news, instead of the handgun, the narrator spends all his money on a bass guitar. In two minutes I hear him buying and learning the bass guitar and recruiting a crowd of background singers to make my smile crack my ears. The scat near the end is a fine introduction to a most interesting artist. Shoutout to Salvador. Jamie T