Sunday, November 16, 2008

Phil Keaggy – Phantasmagorical (CD)

This is not an official Christmas album. In fact, it came out in August. However, it’s my favorite seasonal album of the year. I can’t tell you why it feels seasonal to me – I think it has to do with the overwhelming sense of peace that Phil is able to elicit from his instrument. Beauty is a word that fits. I look back at all the music Phil has enlightened me with over the years, and I should be amazed at how much this album affects me, but I’m not. I first knew him as a master songwriter, inspiring me to think fully of my place in the world, and in the 70’s and 80’s I came to know him as a master musician who had the gift of translating the gifts he was given from the Master onto physical recordings. I’ve seen Phil play in small churches, and it’s easy to become emotionally involved in his creativity in a small group setting. Everyone gets touched by the spirit that is unique to live music everywhere around the world. Capturing that spirit on a recording is not as easy. Phil has that gift, and it works for me all year round. As I get old and sentimental and simply falling more and more deeply in love with the depths we are allowed to visit emotionally as humans, I savor this album for the Season for Joy, the Season of Peace, the Season of Love that we celebrate, while at the same time praying with the whole world that this season stops being several weeks a year, but find it carried over to every hour of every day of the year. Some titles that bring the depth to the surface are Like Snow Before The Sun, The Journey Home, Oh Boy, and Father And Son. Phil Keaggy