Friday, February 20, 2009

Putumayo Presents India

India has many flavors of music, and we are often treated to the frantic side of Bollywood flavors here in the US. Putumayo has decided to focus on the jazzier and smoother side of music from India on this release, and have even used a food metaphor themselves to discuss this collection. “A captivating musical masala.” Like many of Putumayo’s collections, this one includes a recipe for a scrumptious pilaf that I made while listening to the CD several times. The entire CD is engaging, with special shoutouts for Bombay Jayashris, Sanjay Divecha, Kailash Kher, and Deepak Ram. The poetry adds a full dessert to this party. I love this, from Naino Sey: “She speaks to me. Teases. Then hugs and languorously sighs. All this with her eyes.”

Many thanks to Kaveh Sarfehjooy for continuing to share the world of Putumayo with the eartaste family of readers. Putumayo Presents India

Putumayo on Eartaste

The video is by Niraj Chag, featuring Swati Natekar on vocals. The lyrics sing "Is my essence just a delusion? How long to I submit to a night where dreams are shattered, and mine forsake me?"