Monday, February 02, 2009

Willie Nelson – Willie and the Wheel (CD)

Texas rules! There’s no way to pull one of these songs off the CD and praise it – every song has its place in the mix, and gives a taste of the fine musicianship of Asleep at the Wheel. I know this entire CD will be sitting right next to my player for months to come. It’ll be like a glass of wine to share with family, friends and neighbors, and those times I need some company with myself. The mix of Willie with the band is a perfect fit. Sounds like they’ve been working together for 50 years. Lots of room for instrumental virtuosity to shine forth. The only thing that would improve this would be some harmony from Don Walser. As much as I love the concept, it is funny that my absolute favorite is an instrumental called South. It’s heartwarming to know that everyone has enough self-confidence to allow this moment. It's also kind of gratifying to know both my mom & dad would have loved this generation transcending album. Willie Nelson with Asleep at the Wheel