Monday, March 30, 2009

Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand (CD)

Waking up in 1965 to brand new music is always a great pleasure for me, and I mean that as a great complement. Everyone who knows me here at home knows my love of and pride in the garage band collection I have circa 1963-1967. Anytime I discover another group from that era, I am grinning from ear to ear and driving everyone crazy with the loud tunes. What I love most about that era is the idea of rock music was still developing & everything didn’t sound “perfect”. It has energy, often high-energy, pre-Monkees rock and roll. They were willing to let what some players would consider mistakes stand, because recording was both expensive and immediate. What’s even more intriguing about this CD is it was recorded in the 21st century. I love it, and can’t recommend one individual cut because they all have special qualities. For example, I’m listening to “No matter what they say, he can’t be the Jack Johnson of today” with the drummer and rhythm guitar keeping a garage beat, while the lead guitar sends aural enhancements that fit perfectly in the 1965 groove. Many groups try to sound like this, Black Lips make it sound natural. I’m in heaven. Black Lips