Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ida Maria - Louie

“I know I’m always drunk. As drunk as can be. And I wonder, Louie, have you got room for me?” An open pop song about a character that admits to having a twisted soul, and wondering why some people are ‘different’. The lyrics are thought provoking but it’s the music that attracts me to this collection. In the very next song, “I Like You”, the character says “I only smoke when I’m with you”, entering again into the questions of who we are and why we hang onto traits we don’t like about ourselves. The chorus says “I like you so much better when you’re naked, I like me so much better when you’re naked”, and it’s obvious we aren’t talking about sexual nakedness, but open souls. I get the feeling the narrator is attempting to use pop music to explain a philosophy of complete and total honesty among humans. I’m all for it. Tough to accomplish, but what a world that would be. And if we can keep the dance beat, what a wonderful world that would be. There are many delicious flavors on this CD. More shoutouts for Forgive Me, Morning Light, and Queen Of The World. “I spin around in circles, and I’m singing. Why can’t I stay like this? Oh please let me stay like this.” You have my permission. In fact I’ll join you. Let’s make this a mission for all mankind! =:-) Ida Maria