Sunday, May 20, 2007

Christy Moore - Sixteen Fishermen Raving

Traveling through the central Texas hills while listening to this CD is a fantastic Sunday. The CD rolls over and over as we decide which town to stop at eat in. Somehow we want seafood, but that’s not well done up in any of these country towns which all specialize in bbq. “Don’t eat too much you'll never get enough when you're flying into mystery.” Flying, driving, don’t be so persnickety. As long as Christy's voice is guiding me, I’m flying. “When fishermen are feeling good they feel it musically. They go down singing shanties to the dance floor.” My mysterious dream is to have these musicians join us in the hills the way bands did just 40 years ago. There’s no place for dances anymore, except in the larger towns. “Run out the jib, rig the boom, step back reality.” Reality is not where I wanted to come back to, but I do want to shout out the fine version of Richard Thompson’s Beeswing and Phil Ochs’ Changes. Both songs I’ve spent hours with and yet find them filling me with new strength as I listen to Moore’s interpretations. Beauty filled cloudy Sunday afternoon. “Wander in my world, dream about the pictures I play of changes.” As the clouds burst this line comes thundering, “Like water in the wind we are puppets to the silver strings of changes.” Christy Moore