Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mavis Staples - 99 And 1/2

“I’m running for freedom - 99 ½ won’t do.” A 50 year old gospel truth song by Dorothy Love Coates- the power of this truth is even more evident today. There is no such thing as 99 ½ percent freedom, or truth. Mavis is bringing back songs that should be “oldies” and songs from the past. They aren’t - all the same prejudices are still at work in our society, folks have simply learned methods of being much more subtle. The words are powerful throughout this album, and Mavis adds a lot of herself to the stories, which only makes them more powerful. The reason its being talked about here, however is the mighty and vigorous arrangements that emphasize the meaning while getting my body, mind and soul up and moving. This Little Light spins me around in praise while contemplating the many places I need to sing this freedom song. “I ain’t gonna fight no rich man’s war, that ain’t what God’s gonna use me for. Killing folk ain’t in my line, sure ain’t no way to let my little light shine.” The entire album is a shoutout, but I’ll specifically mention two more faves, In The Mississippi River and Jesus Is On The Main Line. This album is a must-have for all collectors of fine music. Mavis Staples